By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sports UpdatesSports UpdatesSports Updates
  • Home
  • Cricket
    • IPL
  • Football
  • Hockey
  • Badminton
  • Baseball
Reading: Leaving Rajasthan Royals was a huge risk, says Sanju Samson
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Sports UpdatesSports Updates
Font ResizerAa
  • News & Perspective
  • Home
  • Cricket
  • Football
  • Hockey
  • Badminton
  • About
  • Contact
Follow US
Sports Updates > News > IPL > Leaving Rajasthan Royals was a huge risk, says Sanju Samson
IPL

Leaving Rajasthan Royals was a huge risk, says Sanju Samson

Admin
Last updated: July 24, 2026 5:34 pm
Published July 24, 2026
Share
5 Min Read
Leaving Rajasthan Royals was a huge risk, says Sanju Samson
SHARE

Sanju Samson represented Rajasthan Royals for 11 seasons before his move to Chennai Super Kings ahead of IPL 2026. The trade between the two franchises saw Samson head to CSK in exchange for allrounders Ravindra Jadeja and Sam Curran, marking one of the most high-profile player trades in IPL history. Samson joined CSK for INR 18 crore, while Jadeja’s fee was revised to INR 14 crore and Curran’s fee remains INR 2.4 crore.

During his time with Rajasthan Royals, Samson led the franchise in five IPL seasons from 2021 to 2025. Under his leadership, Rajasthan Royals reached the final in the 2022 season. Across his IPL career, Samson scored over 4500 runs. Samson opened up about the decision to leave the franchise that had been his home for over a decade.

“Leaving Rajasthan Royals was a huge risk. Once you convey your feelings to the franchise, there is no going back. You could end up in a team you don’t want to go to or even in the auction with no certainty. There were two reasons behind this decision. First, I was sure that 2025 would be my last season with RR. I had long conversations with my family and my wife. They kept asking me if it was an impulsive decision or if I was really sure,” said Samson on JioStar’s Superstars.

“We discussed it for two or three weeks, and then we decided it was time. I was convinced it was the right call. Second, I am a confident person. I believe I can stand on my own. I am always ready to start from zero. Many people told me that my batting style might not suit the slow Chepauk wicket. Those thoughts did cross my mind. But then I told myself, ‘You are 30 years old. Go out and find a way.’ This IPL season, I went in with a lot of energy, thinking I had to achieve something. I discovered a new energy there, and it was working very well for me,” he added.

‘Not a short-term project’ – Abhishek Bachchan on ETPL

‘This is not a short-term project’ - Abhishek Bachchan shares vision behind European T20 Premier League
Read More

‘Not a short-term project’ – Abhishek Bachchan on ETPL

Adapting to CSK and overcoming early setbacks

Samson’s early CSK experience included three consecutive losses and personal struggles with form. However, he highlighted the unwavering support from the team management and his teammates during that difficult period. The batter emphasised that despite the pressure of joining a new franchise and the expectations that come with it, the backing he received from CSK proved invaluable in helping him navigate the challenging start to his IPL 2026 campaign.

“In T20 cricket, failure is common. In this format, you tend to fail more than you succeed. So, when you are going through a rough patch, you need people around you who understand that failure is part of the game. When I joined CSK, I failed in my first three games. We lost all three, and I didn’t score runs. I had just come off playing in the World Cup final, but I wasn’t able to carry that form into the IPL,” said Samson.

“In that situation, no matter how experienced you are, you know that the coach expects more, the captain expects more, and Mahi bhai is watching you. So I went to the nets, worked on my game, and stayed in my zone. I was more mature this time around and I knew what I had to do. But what really stood out was that the response from the team management and my teammates didn’t change even one per cent. When I failed three matches in a row, their faith in me never wavered. That meant a lot to me,” he added.

Source

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Copy Link
Share
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Cricket Live Score

Live Cricket Scores

Top Categories

  • Cricket
  • Football
  • Hockey
  • Badminton

Latest Updates

Premiere League

32nd Congress: President Kurt Edwin Simeon-Okraku points to seven seasons of stability

August 21, 2026
Premiere League

32nd Congress: GFA to roll out Diaspora strategy to identify Ghanaian talent abroad

August 21, 2026
Premiere League

32nd Congress: GFA invest GHS 1.4m annually in Elite Academies as President Simeon-Okraku highlights talents development progress

August 21, 2026
Premiere League

32nd Congress: GFA expands bus strategy as President Simeon-Okraku announces five more vehicles for clubs

August 21, 2026

You Might Also Like

I wasn’t getting enough support from my state team, says Shashank Singh on Puducherry move

August 20, 2026

I am also a human: Shashank Singh on PBKS’s IPL 2026 collapse

August 20, 2026

Priyansh Arya defends Punjab Kings after IPL 2026 collapse

August 14, 2026

Punjab Kings started off-season camp in New Chandigarh

August 13, 2026
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Instagram
Quick Menu
  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
Categories
  • Cricket
  • Football
  • Hockey
  • Badminton
Other Links
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Terms and Conditions

Copyright © 2025 Sports Updates. All Rights Reserved

adbanner
AdBlock Detected
Our site is an advertising supported site. Please whitelist to support our site.
Okay, I'll Whitelist
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?